Following a series of learning sessions with practitioners from various organisations in Cape Town we wrote this reflection on the use and practice of “Theory of Change” being demanded by donors, and the problems and possibilities practitioners are experiencing.
The writing touches on:
- Why have theory?
- Ways of understanding theory and implications for practice
- Building theory beyond empiricism
- Participation and complexity
- Principles of life, values and principles of action
- Theory and imagination
- Consciousness and humanity
- Theory: models or archetypes
- Theory and impact